Sunday, November 28, 2010

How many eggs should I use

Once again I am baking and as I was getting ready to put the eggs in I realized how huge my extra large eggs looked and thought to myself should I be using the recommended amount for eggs when using extra large eggs. So for the one recipe I scaled back by one egg and I am going to do that with the next recipe I am using. I am doing the infamous Neiman Marcus cookie (hoax recipe - however truly makes amazing cookies) and it calls for 4 eggs. It does not say the size but I always buy extra large.
I decided I would search online to see if there exist an egg conversion out there for different egg sizes and this is what I found which I thought would be useful to all you other bakers out there.


Many recipes requiring eggs specify the use of large eggs, so if the eggs you have available are smaller or larger, it is beneficial to know the size equivalents. Use the following guidelines to achieve a quantity that should work well for most recipes.

* 5 medium eggs = 4 large eggs = 4 extra large eggs
* 6 medium eggs = 5 large eggs = 4 extra large eggs
* 7 medium eggs = 6 large eggs = 5 extra large eggs

For a more precise measure:

* 1 medium egg = 3 tablespoons
* 1 large egg = 3¼ tablespoons

Therefore:

* 13 medium eggs yields exactly the same quantity (39 tablespoons) as 12 large eggs.

Here is where I found the information

No comments:

Post a Comment