Wednesday, March 3, 2010

oh yummy......


I am always looking for healthier baking choices in deserts for my family. I try to find higher fiber and less fat whenever possible. Today I found the perfect muffin recipe. It is one of the lightest muffins I think I have ever had. And you weight watcher counters will love this recipe. From the reviews I have discovered that this muffin would count as just 1 point instead of 3 points for the suggested store bought muffin. People have also shared their variations of what they changed in the recipe. However I found the recipe perfect the way it was. However this time I made a change and used all whole wheat flour instead of half ww and half wf.

Okay I know you are wanting to know what is the recipe - stop typing and share it already. Okay here you go. its from allrecipes.com - I took them over to my mom's for taste testing and she and my brother liked them very much. My brother is a snacker by nature and he gave his approval and wanted the recipe. So that is a good sign. So even junk food people may find these delicious.

What I love is there is no butter or oil - it uses applesauce and non fat milk. You would never know the fat source is missing. I give this recipe a two thumbs up and will continue to use them. Oh my youngest sister who is working out with me at the gym also enjoyed the muffins as well. Even took another with her for a snack at work. So go ahead and try the recipe.



Low-Fat Blueberry Bran Muffins

Prep Time:
15 Min
Cook Time:
20 Min
Ready In:
35 Min



Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
  • 1 cup nonfat milk
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup blueberries

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or use paper muffin liners. Mix together wheat bran and milk, and let stand for 10 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together applesauce, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla. Beat in bran mixture. Sift together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir into bran mixture until just blended. Fold in blueberries. Scoop into muffin cups.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly tapped.

Nutritional Information open nutritional information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 123 | Total Fat: 0.9g | Cholesterol: 18mg

No comments:

Post a Comment