Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tried a new recipe

Last night I tried a new recipe but changed it up a little. As you all know when I look for recipes I am trying to find healthier choices but still lots of flavor. I really was not sure how this recipe was going to turn out as it seemed a little drier when mixing it up.

As I said I changed a few things up. Instead of white flour I used whole wheat and instead of canola oil (which from doing some research does not sound like a healthier alternative) I used
a light tasting olive oil and unfortunately I had too use two full eggs as I did not want to waste my whole egg since I did not have just egg whites.

We just sampled the bread a few minutes ago and it was delicious and you could smell and taste the banana's and the bread was very light tasting. So I give this recipe 2 thumbs up.

Weight Watchers Oatmeal Banana Bread Recipe

Ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 3 tsp canola oil (I used light tasting olive oil)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 medium egg whites, beaten
- 3 large bananas, ripe
- 1 cup uncooked old fashioned oats

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients. Add oil and eggs; mix thoroughly.
In a smaller bowl, mash bananas with a potato masher or fork. Add bananas and oatmeal to batter.
Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray. Pour batter into pan and bake until top of loaf is firm to touch, 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Flip out and cool on a wire rack for another 10 minutes. Slice loaf into 10 equally sized slices.

Serving size is 1 slice
Each serving = 4 Weight Watchers Points


I also changed up another recipe as one of my boys asked me to make chocolate chip pumpkin muffins. I have included the link below.


With this recipe I once again changed the flour to whole wheat and for the oil instead of vegetable oil I used olive oil.

Now I know olive oil is a higher fat but its a better fat then your vegetable, canola or any other oil. If you are not sure do some research you will see time an again that olive oil is the most recommended oil as one of your better oils to use.


http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pumpkin-Chocolate-Chip-Muffins/Detail.aspx



No comments:

Post a Comment